Monday, August 17, 2015

I have been reading some Pablo Neruda lately, getting drunk on his words. A lot of you know that I am a HUGE fan of Neruda and have been since I was introduced to him in the movie Il Postino. The poems chosen for that movie were among his best. The way he talks about love and desire is enrapturing. Just reading it drives me to writing poetry.

I haven't written any poetry in a while, at least not a lot at any given time, ever since I completed my thesis in 2005. I put out things now and again but nothing like the amount I did then. Since then, for the last decade, I have been focusing heavily on my prose. Now they are both at the same skill level. I want to be able to write both but the roll of fiction stays in the mind more than the etherialness of poetry. Capturing a moment or a feeling as purely as possible is not an easy thing.

Will I write both? I certainly hope so. I know that there are more poems that go into I Tiresias and I have been trying to get into that. Hopefully Walkabout will give me the ability to relax into both poems and other words.

Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment